COM Final Proposal

Inspiration:

A running theme throughout my projects in this class has been accessibility to the average person and something that makes complex topics simple and engaging. There was one specific application that was shown in class (I can't remember the name of it because it was a while ago) but I remember it was about education and that really inspired me to start thinking about how I could make an educational experience out of the knowledge I've learned. Learning music and music theory is a daunting task if you have no familiarity with it. 

Even though I've been involved with instrument learning and choir since I was a child, there are still things that I find fascinating that people can do. Like hearing notes and immediately knowing what they are and in what key. I'm pretty good at listening to something and figuring out how to play it on my own, and I annoy my friends by constantly recognizing the composer for movies by sound alone, but I never learned how to connect the musical knowledge that I have to specific identifications like note names.

Idea: 

The first thing that came to mind was why aren't there music learning apps similar to Duolingo out there. Music is, after all, just another form of language. So my idea is to create an interface that plays a random note on a scale and then asks for feedback from the user on which note it thinks is being played. The user will either guess or know and then the machine will tell them that they got it right or wrong like in Duolingo. 

In the same way that language learning apps present information to you until it is familiar, I think that over time the user would be able to correctly identify each note on a scale by ear with this app. This could be a good way for beginning musicians to learn in a fun low-stakes way or for seasoned musicians to sharpen their ear. Keeping in the theme of my past projects, I wanted to make something that's relevant to all ages, levels of musical skill, and fun to engage with.

If I were to make this project more complex, I would want buttons that change the scale or the instrument being heard, in case people want to learn sounds in relation to a particular instrument. The next level of complexity would be keeping track of when the player is able to correctly identify all the notes and tell them.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Patterns Assignment #1

Hypercinema Week #4

PhysComp Week #1