PhysComp Week #1

    I started the labs with the setting up of the breadboard. I successfully inserted the wires portrayed in the first image (Figure 8) but I wasn't really sure why I was doing these things specifically so I asked for guidance from my partner who has also taken some physical computing classes. With his help, I was able to understand what the wires are doing and why it's important to properly ground circuits. Once I finished the initial setup, I moved on to powering the breadboard. I ordered all the components on the Basic Parts and Tools BOM on Sparkfun but they hadn't arrived in time for this lab, and I was unable to find the parts I needed on the floor, so instead of using a DC powerjack to power the breadboard, I connected the arduino to the breadboard and then to my computer with the provided cord. I proceeded to setup the LED lab and learn more about currents and the relationship between supplying power and then grounding it.

     I also have yet to obtain the multimeter, but I watched the video provided on the lab and feel like I have a pretty good idea of what the meter is for and how to use it. I feel like the switches and push buttons lab was one of the easiest to understand, perhaps because we're surrounded with the concept of buttons and switches our entire lives. I managed to find a couple different switch types on the floor to play around with. I also asked my partner to explain the parts that I did manage to find and in what circumstances you would use them, or why you'd use one part over another. 

     The only thing that I think will take some getting used to is schematics. While I understand the concept and purpose behind them, it's not a natural thing to read yet and is especially difficult to translate to the breadboard since it doesn't indicate a specific layout or anything. I watched the video that was recommended, but I think it will just take time and practice to fully feel comfortable with them. Overall, I feel like there was a lot of information to digest this week and hopefully as we continue it will start to sink in a bit more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Patterns Assignment #1

Hypercinema Week #4

ICM Week #6