Hypercinema Week #5

First Idea: For this project, my original idea was to create a manga panel using only synthetic generated media. Everything from the reference photos, lineart, and coloring would be done with an AI model. However, upon further experimentation I was unhappy with the results of this. I found it difficult to craft a story with the photos generated and the color AI wasn't that great. I decided to use the generated photos from the AI and create something else. 

Final Idea: What I decided to create were trading cards using generated photos of gibbon monkeys, but painted in the style of Van Gogh. This was achieved by putting the generated images through a model called Neural Style which allows you to turn any image into the style of a painting, which you choose and upload. I tried to keep everything as random as possible, so the names were selected from a randomly generated monkey name website and the numbers were given from a random generator on google. I used a template on Adobe Spark to create the final product. 

Purpose: The reason this idea appealed to me is because it satirically touched upon the question that I ponder often which is why do we value what we do in art. Trading cards are highly competitive nowadays and sell for a lot of money, and fine art is also valued highly, especially from someone like Van Gogh. Another type of value that we attribute to cards are if they're of a famous person, like Babe Ruth, but these are all just monkeys, and monkeys that don't actually exist at that.

I would want people who view this project to be amused, but to also wonder if they would buy something like this and why. I see a lot of artists making similar projects and selling them as NFT's to prove that people will buy anything that is seen as "trendy" or "popular" even if the actual subject of the artwork is ridiculous.

Art Samples:


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Final Product (side-by-side comparison of original photo and art generated):









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Patterns Assignment #1

Hypercinema Week #4

PhysComp Week #1