ICM Week #7

For my midterm project, I wanted to make a rhythm game. I was uncertain about how exactly would be the best way to go about that, but I settled on a 3x3 grid with "notes" coming in from off-screen and the proper keys would need to be pressed when the note passed in front of the corresponding box. This was a challenging and long project. I'm proud of the coding even if I think from a game design point of view it could be better. The only thing that is "incomplete" about it is that I didn't feel like coding in all of the music cues so there's enough of the game set up to play about 40 seconds right now. Right now it's coded to use the keypad, which I'm not sure if mac laptops have, but it was more intuitive than using the letter keys. There is a volume slider, but if you change the volume it also messes with the beat detection that changes the background color. So if you turn the volume all the way down, the background stops changing colors. I don't particularly have a problem with this. The default volume is midway. If you turn it all the way up in the beginning the background starts changing right away, but I kind of like that if you leave it at the midway mark the background starts changing when the beat gets intense enough for the beat detection to kick in. Overall, I feel like I got to practice a lot of things and feel pretty happy with the result.

Questions: The biggest question I had was if there was a simpler way to code the note cues. Right now, I have to manually input a time for a new arrow to spawn. Is there an automated process? I got it to work with the beat detection I use for the background but the problem with my setup is if the beat spawns an arrow it spawns it outside the screen not on the box, so it makes it out of sync. For example, if I had made a game where the boxes highlight when you need to press them, then maybe I could have used the beat detection to control the highlight function. The other function I wanted to implement was a restart button or some way to refresh the game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Patterns Assignment #1

Hypercinema Week #4

PhysComp Week #1