AR Final Project

 AR Final Project

Idea: So... for this week I did something risky that I said I wouldn't do which is try out creating an AR application in Unity instead of a lens in Snapchat. I really liked the Image Tracking project that I did with mapping scenes from the anime onto the manga panels to create a fresh way to enjoy the story. (Previous Project Demo)

It's my dream to continue this project and turn it into a full-fledged application with image tracking for the whole manga volume. So I decided to get a head start and spend this final working on figuring out how to do that in Unity.

Problems:

Oh boy were there some problems. I spent more time troubleshooting than I did working on the actual content of the app. The first problem I encountered was getting a black screen on my phone instead of a camera feed. This was solved through changing some stuff in the build settings but it was a lot of trial and error. As soon as I fixed this problem, I rejoiced for all of two seconds before the app crashed. I now had a new problem which was again fixed with trial and error in the build settings. Finally after hours I could actually work on the project.

Process: 

At the moment, there is only one image tracking implemented. This was pretty easily done by following tutorials online. Although, it's far from my desired functioning, I suppose it's a good test run to make sure the AR and Unity is working.

Execution: 

Video 1

 

Video 2

 

Things to Implement:

  • Multiple Image Tracking & Tracking Images at Same Time
  • Only Tracking when Image is present (if app is left alone with target it'll just project onto the nearest flat surface)
  • Tracking Precision (kinda shaky atm)
  • Tracking to different sizes of images. Right now the specifications of the image tracking target have to be exact.
Far Future Implementations:
  • Home/Selection Menu
  • Sound???
  • Different Regional Versions
  • 3D models?
  •  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Patterns Assignment #1

Hypercinema Week #4

PhysComp Week #1