ICM Final Project Documentation

 Interactive Rhythm Game

Inspiration: Making a rhythm game was purely indulgent, as I greatly enjoy rhythm games and really enjoyed the process of making my own. However, this time I wanted to make something for someone else and the last time we spoke my brother-in-law was really excited about playtesting it, so I used a remix of a song from one of his favorite games and the entire aesthetic is inspired by the game as well. Having a specific inspiration made it a lot easier to work on the aesthetic rather than trying to create something generically pleasing to look at.

Sample Screenshots:

 
Gameplay: As you can see in the images above, the gameplay consists of a center stage where the markers indicate where you are supposed to hit the notes as they come in. The "notes" (colored circles) move towards the center from the outside. If they reach the center without being hit, they disappear and it counts as a miss. The red circle in the middle is the moveable piece (using WASD) that you use to hit the notes once they are in a good range.

I referenced two of my previous sketches for this: my first rhythm game and my visualizer.

Reflection: The goal was to build upon what I learned from these previous sketches to improve on my game-making abilities. I feel happy with how this turned out as I believe it shows a clear improvement over the first iteration of the rhythm game. The biggest success was finding a method to map out the time markers in the song when I wanted a note to spawn. The failure that I didn't predict was that this would be too much for a browser to run and that it lags in fullscreen, and thus throws the whole timing off. Although, it doesn't seem to have any problems running in the editor.

In the future, if I were to continue this project I would like to implement an intro screen, more song choices and a selection screen, and find a way to fullscreen it without lag (perhaps by hosting it on another website).

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Patterns Assignment #1

Hypercinema Week #4

PhysComp Week #1