AR Image Assignment

 AR Image Assignment

For this week's assignment, I knew I wanted to animate a literary source material of some kind. I originally contemplated animating a book cover, but then random inspiration hit. I remembered side-by-side comparison videos I saw comparing how similar the anime is to the manga panels for this specific anime, Jujutsu Kaisen. 

The anime pretty much matches the manga almost exactly so I thought this would be a perfect opportunity for overlaying the anime onto the manga panels with a smooth transition. The panel I decided to work with is below from the first volume of the manga. Originally I ran a test on a different image and was satisfied but wanted to animate a whole page so I chose this one.

I started with just overlaying the anime clips flat over the manga which was nice but I realized it would be even nicer if I could preserve the text and effects on the panels so that it would be more immersive and also wouldn't disrupt a reading experience. 

I did this by taking the original images into photoshop and editing out the speech/effects as a png and then overlaying it onto my videos before exporting them as a jpg sequence. In an optimistic world, I could make a lens for each page of the manga so that people could enjoy reading in a new way but that would be a lot of work.

Video (I recorded this with the image on my computer screen because I couldn't find my physical volume)

Lens Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Patterns Assignment #1

Hypercinema Week #4

PhysComp Week #1