World-making in Unity Week #4

Summary:

My 3D Unity game will be a frogger-inspired action game with modern 3D graphics and a cute style. I'm hoping to emulate the fun of a classic while enhancing it with a beautiful environment, dynamic lighting, and 3D models instead of 2D sprites.

 

Inspiration:

One of my favorite games to play as a child was Frogger. I had it on the gameboy and it looked like the image below.

Obviously, going back to this exact version of the game would feel exceptionally dated compared to the games I play now. It'd be nice to have a 3D game similar to frogger with more modern graphics. The closest thing I can think of to something like this is Crossy Road, which was a very popular mobile game (image below). 


However, I find the graphics for Crossy Road quite unappealing and it'd be nice to have something playable on a computer. I also thought a Frogger-like game would be a relatively feasible project as a beginner in Unity.

Research:

For the most part, this project is a combination of the knowledge I've learned in the Roll-a-Ball and John Lemon tutorials. I intend to use the enemy mechanisms from the John Lemon tutorial, with the modification of the being "caught" triggering on the enemies colliding with the player instead of within range of their view. The player movement will be a simple WASD movement with the addition of a jump. The camera will track the player in a similar way to the Roll-a-Ball tutorial from a reasonable distance so the player can still see oncoming traffic.

 

I don't anticipate there being much that I need to learn outside of those two tutorials. The only thing I need to find a tutorial for is the movement of the environment obstacles, like the logs in the image above. Also, unlike in the John Lemon tutorial, there are "bad" areas for the player to step, like the water, which will result in a failure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Patterns Assignment #1

Hypercinema Week #4

PhysComp Week #1