Worldmaking with Unity Final Project

Collect All the Pumpkins

The original idea for my final was to make something similar to Frogger with 3D assets. However, I was struggling to find assets that inspired me or fit the game I was trying to make. I did find these environment assets though, which inspired me to make a spooky collectable game. I was intending to make something similar to Pacman, where there's a bunch of pickupable items around and you need to get them all to win, with enemies roaming around to catch you. 

I implemented the pumpkins as the pickup items and the player can successfully complete that part of the game. The environment and lighting is also complete and I think creates the perfect eerie tone. I also added a spooky music track to the background. 

The only component I didn't have time for was the enemy interactions and replacing the sphere player object with an animated model. I wanted to have the statues (seen in the pictures below) have a directional gaze and if you walked in front of them you got "caught" and maybe a few roaming enemies similar to the John Lemon tutorial.

 
Even though I didn't get to finish everything I had planned for this project, I feel that reviewing how to implement 3D game mechanics helped me learn a lot more and that I have a solid grasp on the basics now.

 
If I continued working on this I'd implement a player model, enemy interactions, and perhaps more variety to the collectables. It'd be cool to have different pumpkins with different faces or hats and you have a journal that records which ones you've collected so far. Maybe turning it into a pumpkin hunting game where they are in less obvious spots and you're trying to find them (like a point-and-click game).

Video Demo
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Patterns Assignment #1

Hypercinema Week #4

PhysComp Week #1